October 19, 2014

MABLE, OH MABLE...

...yes, I finally got around to making Colette's Mable.  Here's my review of this essential #2 pencil skirt.

Being the pencil skirt lover that I am, I was instantly drawn to the Colette pattern when it was first released.  I've had this stained glass print pontederoma knit stashed for a couple of years but wasn't really in love with it so I decided to use it as my Mable muslin.  I made View 3.
COLETTE #1029

I'd read that Mable went together rather quickly, and it did.   It's a welcome variation to the elastic waist McCall's pencil skirt pattern that I usually make and still do love.  It's nice to have choices even if it's just a #2 pencil skirt.

I found that the pattern has several built in amenities:  1) it's already nicely pegged.  I didn't need to do any tapering at the hem. 2) I made the size that corresponded to my measurements, and things turned out pretty good.  The skirt is VERY FORM FITTED as is illustrated by the pattern envelope.    3)  it's even well suited for those of us who, shall I say, have plenty of junk in the trunk.  It fits well at the back hem even without doing a full buttock wedge adjustment (meaning that my skirt is slightly longer at the back hem than it is in front).  And that's a great thing for me.

Would I recommend the Mable - YES I DO, even for beginners.  Instructions are well written, and super clear.  Nothing at all to be scared of here.  Listen to me talk!  I've had the pattern for months but was afraid of the waist band.  Needn't be at all, because it's an easy peezy pattern!!!


13 comments:

  1. This is a very nice skirt. I really like the fabric. Thank you for sharing a review of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Regina I really like the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This skirt is so smart - love your fabric choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. This is a muslin, but believe me it will get worn.

      Delete
  4. That is a pretty skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelroc. It's all about getting use to this pattern. I think I really like it.

      Delete
  5. Nice fabric you used in that skirt. A pencil fabric is always so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10/24/2014

    Hello Faye,

    "...junk in the trunk" made me chuckle :-)

    Real cute skirt, well done!
    I am always happy when I find other DIY sewing enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice skirt Faye! I really love the fabric you selected, couldn't be prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great pattern and your skirt s pretty. Love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I like to Mable. No need to peg at the hem and the sizing is just right. Sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, Faye this Mable is gorgeous and that fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...